April 26, 2012

Honey Lemon Spelt Shortbread

Leaving the nest is never easy. 

2 days ago, I up and left the cozy nest of a home I've been living in for the past 2 1/2 years. And while I've been excited to leave Toronto for the summer to pursue my farming dreams a bit more concretely, the sad part was saying goodbye to my housemates, and the beloved kitchen that is always bustling with action and sending delicious smells wafting through the house. I had wanted to make a little video of some of my favourite recipes from the Victor kitchen before leaving (Mohssine's Moroccan pickled lemon chicken for instance and Julie's irresistible upside down peach cake), but I found myself pressed for time, running around town and trying to cram as much as I possibly could into my sister's car before the long drive to Maine. I did however, manage to capture a wee video of one of my favourite roommates. Her royal highness: Pepper, the cat, taking part in some "gardening". She was passionately throwing herself onto the poor unsuspecting catnip plant that Julie had JUST planted minutes before in the garden. It went on and on. And on...



Let's just say, between Pepper and the neighbourhood feline mob, the little plant didn't stand a chance and was obliterated in mere hours. There was not even a trace of it the following day. I am sure going to miss Pepper and her luxurious cameos in my cooking videosSo farewell to Toronto, Victor Avenue, and my dear beloved housemates. I will miss your company, your outstanding cooking, and your cat.


Here are the cookies I made today to feel the sweet comfort of home in a new place. 

Honey Lemon Spelt Shortbread Cookies 
1 cup butter
2 cups spelt flour
1/2 cup sugar
3 tbsp honey
1 1/2 tbsp lemon rind
3 tbsp finely chopped candied lemon peel (optional)

Cream the butter, sugar, and honey. Add grated rind and candied peels. Mix in flour until you get a soft dough. Pat down into a flat circle and refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes. Roll out using a rolling pin and cut into shapes. Bake for about 10 minutes at 375 F putting a rack on the top third of your oven so the cookies don't burn on the bottom. They should be lightly golden on top.





6 comments:

  1. sweet video Aube. I am excited to hear all about your new adventures on the farm xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! You'll for sure hear all about them... ;-)

      Delete
  2. You are going to be so popular in your new place. Good luck with this new chapter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Val! I'm excited for our ice bowls post!

      Delete
  3. can't wait to see what sorts of animals you can incorporate into your farm posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also looking forward to THAT! There will be chickens and sheep and cows, and I start in 3 days! But it would be hard for any creature to top Pepper's catnip performance...

      Delete